WRIST SPIKEY - Sensory tool for anxiety and can assist with harm minimisation. Made of stretchy metal with small, large and extra large sizes available.
Ideally suited to those that like strong sensory input. The Kaiko Wrist Spikey fidgets are one of Kaiko’s most popular fidgets for those who need deep and focused pressure to assist with self-regulation. It also helps with calming, focus, concentration, tactile awareness and as a substitution for unhealthy/unhelpful behaviours. Kaiko have also had a number of customers report it being helpful in reducing pain and disturbed sensations in arms and muscles. Please consult your treating clinician regarding specific use for your specific condition.
It is made of a black powder coated carbon steel metal that is 'woven' to be stretchy and flexible. It is also touted to have remedial benefit, stimulating acupressure points and assisting with circulation. These are stretchy but firm.
It is an ideal fidget for those who:
- Pick at their skin, fingernails and clothing.
- Self-harm (provides the 'ouch' sensation, without damaging the skin)
- Live with anxiety.
**Of course, the spikey fidget does not replace accessing professional help.
The Kaiko Wrist Spikey fidget is discreet and looks like a trendy piece of jewellery. It is quiet and keeps your hands busy allowing you to focus.
Some ways to use the Wrist Spikey...
- Roll up and down the arm
- Rub between two palms
- Hold in one or two hands to fidget
- Wear on wrist and flick
- Place on wrist and twist around, applying varying degrees of pressure, dependent on preference. This technique has been particularly helpful for some in minimising self harm.
How do I SELECT the Right SIZE?
Kaiko Spikey for wrist comes in 3 sizes.
The Unstretched internal diameter (across) measurements are:
- 3cm for the small
- 4cm for the large
- 5cm for the XL
The sizing of the spikey is very personal. Many of those that have tried it and find it helpful end up getting all 3 sizes and use them in different contexts/situations.
At first glance it’s easy to assume sizing selection is best based on size of wrist or age of person using it. This is certainly one contributing factor, however, over time it has become clear that is not the only thing to consider.
The smaller the more sensory input it provides when rolled. If using it to roll then, irrespective of wrist size, the small is often the go to.
If twisting it around the wrist, the same amount of input can be achieved using any of the sizes, as it is the pressure from the other hand that creates the degree of "ouch". The smaller one is great for strong input, but it is generally not comfortable to wear all day, more to use as required and then store away. Most who like to wear it all the time, opt for the large or XL depending on wrist size. Most adult wrists need the XL for all day wearing.
- Age 3+ (not suitable for under 3 years)
- Includes storage container
- Range of sizes
- Expandable carbon steel metal material
- The metal is highly durable but can be over stretched if not used in accordance with its typical use, by rigorous stretching. It is not meant to be pulled significantly, so may not suit some that like to pull things apart. It will not recover if over stretched.
Kaiko Fidget sensory tools can assist with:
- Supporting mental health and reducing anxiety
- Emotional regulation and sensory input
- Focus and concentration – great for a study or work tool
- Tactile awareness and desensitisation
- Hand function – improving fine motor, strength and circulation
- Managing stress
- Active listening – can increase focus and attention
- Reducing undesirable habits – such as: nail biting, tapping, hair twirling, pen clicking, leg bouncing, smoking, etc
- Sensory seeking substitutions – finding a more socially acceptable outlet for sensory preferences
Not suitable for children under three years old.
Please note if wearing the Wrist Spikey for any period of time that it is important to monitor the skin to ensure it is not compromising circulation. Many who like this also like the Kaiko Spikey for Finger.